December 2, 2008

Climbing Out Of Our Cribs...


Ryan did something that completely amazed and scared the crap out of me today.

After I changed my soiled boxers, I didn't know whether to discipline him or applaud him, smack his hand or give him five, spank his butt or pat him on the rear.

I was filled with great fear and deep pride in the same moment.

Today, he managed to climb out of his crib, open the door to his room, break through the baby gate in front of the door, walk down the hall, push through the gate at the top of the stairs, slide all the way down the stairs and walk into our bedroom like nothing happened.

My first words were, "NO-NO" and my next words were "GIVE ME FIVE!"  The more I reflected on this, I viewed it as an act of bravery instead of defiance.   

I wonder if God feels the same way when we do similar things in our relationship with Him?

Certainly He does not feel a sense of pride when we climb over His commands or bust through His precepts.  But I wonder if the heart of The Father swells with pride when He sees His children climb out of the norm and push past the status quo in how we relate to Him?

Many of us approach God from the cribs of our religious routines, trapped behind the doors of our unrealistic spiritual expectations and blocked in by a gate of guilt for not spending enough "time" with Him.

I wonder if God takes great pride when one of his children is courageous enough to set their Bibles down for a time and glory in the wind on their face.  I wonder if God is delighted when we cease from praying for a season and be silent and still.  I wonder if God sees growth if we spend a Sunday or two (or four) going on a picnic, hiking or taking a trip with our family instead of going to church?

Could be dangerous...I know...but so is climbing out of cribs.

1 comment:

Josh Via said...

Great thoughts, Dave. I'm loving this blog!